Extra Post- Can You Work for a Police Department and Be a Good Person?

Extra Post

Can You Work for a Police Department and Be a Good Person?

Can You Work for a Police Department and Be a Good Person? This question has been swirling across the internet recently. With the debate over this question occurring daily, many people believe that anyone who works for a police department is apart of an unjust system and therefore is a bad person. However, this simply isn't true. As the son of a Law Enforcement Officer (LEO), I have always been exposed to the police department. Currently, my father is the Director of Homeland Security and Criminal Intelligence in Suffolk County. I was supposed to intern with the County Executive this year, however it was cancelled due to COVID-19. I then got a call from the Assistant to the Police Commissioner. They asked me to come in for a meeting.

I arrived for the meeting and had numbers crunched and information ready. I was hired on the spot. I am not working to help the police department completely overhaul their social media and work to build better relationships with the community through social media. So does this make me a bad person? I have met hundreds of people and seen the dedication these individuals display. The dedication to their jobs and the dedication to serving and protecting all citizens. Working in the Public Information Office, we ensure the public stays informed and work with members of the media. So by affiliation am I a bad person? Why should I be scared to add my internship to LinkedIn or my Resume? I am working to build relationships and draw the community closer to the department. So am I bad for doing this?

The Suffolk County Police Department has an Implicit Bias Training which I am currently working on showing the community. This program is nationally recognized. In fact, the United States Department of Justice is working with the department to send its trainers across the nation to train other officers. But just because my title is Suffolk County Police Department Social Media Management Intern, I'm bad? I have not met one officer who doesn't admit what happened to George Floyd was inexcusable. I have not met one officer who doesn't admit there are bad cops. I have not met one officers who doesn't admit reforms should be made. But these officers, civilian employees, and interns should not be characterized by the name of their employer.



Above is a video I created from the Fourth of July Safety Press Conference the department held

Above is a video from the Fourth of July Safety Press Conference showing the danger of fireworks

Comments

Popular Posts